FUPO Works to Find Robber on Campus

If you see something, say something. That’s the message coming from Furman Police Chief John Milby this week in light of a robbery and physical battery on Furman’s campus Wednesday, Jan.16.

According to a timely emergency alert issued at 7:50 p.m. Wednesday night, a strong arm robbery in the PAC parking lot was reported to police at approximately 6:50 p.m. The victim, who was a visitor on campus, described being pushed to the ground, stomped/kicked and robbed of his gym bag by a

• Black male, medium to dark skin tone
  • Approximately 18 to 22 years of age
  • Approximately 6 feet tall
  • Slender, athletic build
  • Dressed in black sweatshirt and black pants
  • Black shoulder length hair with twists/dreadlocks and gold-colored beads or hair ties on ends
  • Rough skin complexion on face

Thanks to the timely emergency alert, reports Police Chief Milby, FUPO has since recovered the stolen gym bag — which was found by a Furman staff member, corroborated the victim’s story with a Furman student who witnessed the assailant in the PAC parking lot and identified a second victim, who was approached and pushed to the ground while walking on a trail near the football stadium.

These unnerving events leave both the Furman Community with important questions: Who is this individual? What is his motive? How should we respond?

As FUPO continues to employ all of their resources to investigate, Police Chief Milby advises students to search for safety in numbers, use SafeRide and trust their instincts — if something seems wrong, call University Police at 864-294-2111 for assistance. If you see something, say something.

In the meantime, FUPO has increased patrols on campus and is available to provide security escorts upon request. Hopefully, the subject will be apprehended and this situation will be resolved as soon as possible.