Papi’s Taco Truck: Shaking Up the Traditional Taco Experience

Papi’s Taco Truck is an authentic Mexican style restaurant nestled along the Reedy River in downtown Greenville. I had never visited its “stationary” location and had only seen “Papi’s Tacos” tents at local Greenville events. I also remember seeing them at last year’s LDOC celebration. I decided to give it a try one evening and experience something different.

Upon walking in, I was greeted by a friendly crew of workers who asked me where I was from and where I went to school. When I mentioned that I went to Furman, the owner was delighted that a Furman student was at his restaurant. He then told me that I must order the “Travelin’ Taco.” This meal includes chicken, lettuce, pico de gallo and sour cream all in a fritos chip bag. I wasn’t sure how to handle such a food option, but I went for it anyway.

After shaking up the bag to get all the ingredients mixed together, I understood fully why the owner had recommended this meal to me. It truly changed my taco experience and grasp of cuisine creativity. Why eat a corn tortilla when you can eat your taco with corn chips?

Overall, I loved the friendly customer service, bright atmosphere and top notch food that Papi’s Tacos provided. No part of the experience was lacking in flavor, friendliness or adventure.

The part of my visit that stuck out the most was how excited the owner was about the Furman connection he had made. He had mentioned that he always loved serving food at Furman events. Afterwards as I walked back to my car, I was reminded of the importance of supporting locally owned businesses that serve the community. I later googled the restaurant’s website to learn more about the restaurant and was in awe of the story behind “Papi’s” vision in the Greenville food scene. I’d encourage anyone interested in shaking up their restaurant options to give Papi’s a visit. I can promise that you won’t be disappointed.