The P-Den Expands Dining Options with New Crepe Spot

There may be no statistical studies on how many crepes Furman students have consumed from Tandem, the popular weekend brunch spot in Travelers Rest, but the number would probably be through the roof. If you’re a freshman reading this, you will not quite understand the struggle upperclassman have had in the past — craving a Tandem crepe but not having the time (or funds) to indulge. This conundrum can now cease to exist, thanks to the new on-campus restaurant, Sweet & Savory.

You can find Sweet & Savory in the P-Den, in the space that previously housed Grinder’s Sandwiches. Sandwich cravings can now be redirected to the upstairs DH, where another new concept, Bread and Bowl, has opened.

The early hours are what make Sweet & Savory different than other restaurants in the P-Den. While the rest of the restaurants begin operating at 11 a.m. during the week, Sweet & Savory starts serving up warm, fluffy crepes at 8 a.m. on weekdays.

Sophomore Gracie Andres has already taken advantage of the early breakfast hours that many students aren’t aware of yet.

“I got the Classic, and I thought it was really tasty. It was a good breakfast, nice for after the gym.” Andres said.

The food selection includes an array of sweet and savory crepes as well as granola bowls. All items can be purchased as a meal exchange with a fountain drink. Upon request, there are also corn flour crepes available for those who have gluten intolerance or dietary restrictions.

Chef Marlene Velez is one of the friendly faces you will see behind the counter at Sweet & Savory. Her favorite savory crepe is the Upstate, and her go-to sweet crepe is the Apple Pie. When asked what she would say to a student who has never had a crepe, she smiled and simply said, “Try it. Just try it, because they’re awesome.”

Sweet & Savory is a welcome addition to Furman’s dining options. The menu is expansive and includes nutritional information on each item. Although Tandem will continue to be a student favorite for weekends and special occasions, the crepes at Sweet & Savory are a delicious way to treat yourself whenever you feel like a pick me up — no sacrificing PalaPoints required. Perhaps there could even be a special “crepe of the week” in the future. The possibilities are endless. So, make a trip to the P-Den part of your morning routine, or pop in for a sophisticated and substantial afternoon snack.

Sweet & Savory’s hours are:

Monday-Friday – 8 a.m.-8 p.m.; Saturday – Closed; Sunday – 2 p.m.-9 p.m.