Influential Paladin: Connor Hubbard

Influential Paladin: Connor Hubbard

Ever since he can remember, junior Connor Hubbard has wanted to be at Furman. Whether it was being a ball boy at soccer matches or rolling down the hills at Stone Stadium, it has always been his dream to play soccer at Furman.

“I have been in Greenville my whole life,” Hubbard said. “I grew up going to Furman games … I loved going to the games and it has been a dream come true to play here.”

Hubbard is a Greenville native and a graduate of Eastside High School, twenty minutes down the road in Taylors, S.C. At first, it seemed like a long shot that Hubbard would have the chance to be a Paladin.

“I emailed the assistant coach, and he wanted me to come to the winter I.D. (identification) camp,” Hubbard explained. “This happened during January of my senior year, and even though I was looking at other schools, I figured I would go out there and have fun and play hard, and see what comes out of it.”

Hubbard went out and performed well at the camp, but all the while, the decision date for making a college decision was getting closer and closer. However, a few months later, Hubbard received an offer from Furman and it was a no brainer for him to accept.

“The Lord really opened up the door at the last second for me to come here,” Hubbard said.

Once he came to Furman, Hubbard decided to take a redshirt his freshman year. His sophomore season, he saw action in twelve games and recorded his first career goal against Gardner Webb University.

Fast forward to the 2017 season and Hubbard has become a major component for the nationally ranked Paladins. Hubbard is currently tied for the leading scorer on the team and notched the first goal of the season for the Paladins against The College of Charleston and had the game winner against Presbyterian College.

Hubbard is an Economics major and is involved in Reformed University Fellowship and Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

Connor Hubbard’s passion, pride and excellence are just several reasons as to why he is this week’s Influential Paladin.

Photo courtesy of Furman Athletics.
Photo courtesy of Furman Athletics.