School Year in Full Swing after Convocation

Courtesy of Lane Fahey

President Davis opened convocation by expressing the need for the community to join together as one. On Sept. 5, President Davis addressed the Furman community via email in regards to President Trump’s decision on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA).

“I share the deep disappointment of hundreds of university presidents around the country who joined me in signing letters before and after the inauguration calling for President Trump to uphold and continue DACA,” Davis stated in an email.

This email echoed President Davis’ speech during convocation, as she also touched on the fact that communities around the nation are uniting during times of need, with Hurricane Harvey in Houston as one of the recent events.

The student body president, senior Jessica Norum, then spoke about the opportunities Furman has for each student.

“Each of us owes it to Furman, and ourselves to abide by our mission and values, to increase our capacity for responsible risk taking and ethical decision making,” Norum said. “I ask you to seize the opportunities this university and the Furman Advantage have to offer by being courageous speakers, and generous listeners.”

Awards were then recognized and presented to various members of the Furman community. Dr. Nancy Powers, class of 1977, received the Richard Furman Baptist Heritage Award. As stated in the program, “Dr. Nancy Powers has dedicated her life as a pediatric physician to serving children whose bodies and minds need care.”

The five Furman Fellows were then recognized for the Class of 2018. Maria Bartlett, Logan Richardson, Christina Sturgeon, Emma Winiski and Noah Zimmerman were all selected for their successes throughout their time at Furman.

Dean of Faculty Dr. Kenneth Peterson then addressed Furman students, especially new students, on how to take advantage of the resources students have at Furman, and having courage to make new friends.

“For most of us, meeting people who we don’t know, takes courage.”

Dr. Peterson proceeded to encourage students to meet people, and even, “sit by people in the dining hall, whom you haven’t met.”

“Reach out, be brave, and don’t give up,” Dr. Peterson said.

After encouraging students to engage with others, Dr. Peterson then told students to use the resources found throughout Furman, including classes that may only be taken to fulfill a general requirement.

“What I can advocate for is if you could have a Plan B, and a Plan C, and oh by the way, a Plan A,” Dr. Peterson said. “But that comes through experimentation, evaluation and reaction.”

Convocation marked the 191st year Furman University has been open.
Convocation marked the 191st year Furman University has been open. Photo courtesy of Lane Fahey.