Influential Paladin: Abby DeMare

Highlighting those who excel in the Furman sporting community.
Influential Paladin: Abby DeMare

As soccer season kicks off, senior Abby DeMare looks to help lead the women’s soccer program to their second SoCon championship in three seasons.

DeMare is a graduate of Dutch Fork High School and is from Irmo, South Carolina. She has been a pivotal member of the team from the beginning of her freshman season and her influence doesn’t seem to stop any time soon.

With the Paladins predicted to finish second in the SoCon this season, Abby doesn’t just have high expectations for team’s play on the field. DeMare says, “I believe that we can do better off the field as people and be an example for the Furman community.”

Now that DeMare is in her senior season, she wants to be a leader in every sense of the word. “I want to be vocal and encouraging, but be expectant of my players at the same time. I want to leave an impact on and off the field and represent the university.”

Not only is DeMare a strong leader on the field, but she is an active member of Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA). She has been a part of the FCA leadership team since her sophomore year. Abby’s leadership role is centered on team focus, which is designed to help serve and support student athletes at Furman.

Abby has not had the easiest road to success while playing for the Paladins. Her freshman season was cut short due to a knee injury, which saw her miss the end of the season. After lots of hard work and grit, DeMare returned from her injury and netted the game-winning goal against SoCon rival Chattanooga, nearly a year after her injury.

DeMare is a Political Science and philosophy major, and has been a member of the SoCon All-Academic team ever since her freshman season. DeMare’s plans after getting her degree is going to law school and ultimately finding a job with the FBI.

If DeMare can somehow manage to find some free time, she loves to listen to music (Halsey is her favorite artist) and is a huge movie fan.IMG_11671

DeMare looks to lead the Paladins to a SoCon championship this season. Photo courtesy of Abby DeMare.