Furman Tennis Rises and Falls

Furman Tennis Rises and Falls
WTennis-236_thumb.jpg
Junior Blair Martin awaits the return of the ball from opponent. Photo courtesy of paladins.com

The men’s tennis team earned a victory over UNC Asheville on Wed., Feb. 10, with a 6-1 decision over the visiting Bulldogs. The Paladins were powered by a sweep of the singles competition. Singles winners included junior Adam Steryous, senior Matt Browne, sophomore Cameron Green, senior Ben Horst, sophomore Josh Pistorius and freshman Alex Steryous.

Later in the week, the women’s team fell to Georgia State by a score of 6-1. Freshman Katarina Weymouth accounted for the Paladins lone singles victory.

The Mickel Tennis Center was yet again a busy venue on Sat., Feb. 13. The women’s team hosted Coastal Carolina, and was able to come away with a 5-2 victory. Paladin singles victories were earned by junior Ansley Speaks, Weymouth, junior Karlee Bryde and freshman Gabby Rodriguez.

Meanwhile, the men traveled to Gainesville, Florida to take on the University of Fla. The Gators, ranked number 22 in the country, recorded a shutout of the Paladins by a score of 7-0.

The men are back in action on Sat., Feb. 20 as they take on the Yale Bulldogs at home. After facing Yale, the Paladins will travel to Duke (Feb. 27) before returning home to battle USC-Upstate (March 2). Then, Furman will travel to San Diego, Calif. for two matches against UC-Irvine (March 6) and Gonzaga (March 8) to close out their out-of-conference schedule. SoCon play begins March 19 against Chattanooga at home.

The women also return to the courts on Feb. 20. They will square off against Xavier as they continue their out-of-conference schedule with seven more matches scheduled before SoCon play begins on March 20 with a trip to Mercer.