The Bell Tower Boys Represent Furman on Tour Across State

By: Abby Fricke, Staff Writer

The Bell Tower Boys have graced Furman’s campus with their a capella talents since 1996. Since then, their presence has grown significantly, so much that they are now touring the state of South Carolina and are planning on recording an album.

During the week of Apr. 16 through 19, The Bell Tower Boys will travel to several high schools throughout the state of South Carolina, some of which include Columbia, Spartanburg, Hilton Head, and Savannah. Each school is the alma mater to each of the boys. The tour is meant to recruit and promote awareness for the group as well as Furman University as a prospective school choice for the high school students. Bell Tower Boys senior and long time member Kolby Merryman, says the purpose of the tour is “to get Furman recognized in the southeast.”

The long-term goal of the group is to be on the NBC show “The Sing Off.” The show invites a capella groups across the country to compete for a $100,000 cash price as well as a Sony Music Recording Contract. The Bell Tower boys were close to auditioning in the past, but the limitation on funds, time, or technology kept them from doing so. This year, through the exposure of the tour and the funds from Fuel Furman combined with the efforts of social media marketing, they are hoping to be able to audition and make it onto the show.

When asked the song selections for the tour, Merryman wanted to keep it a surprise. He did reveal they will be showcasing their crowd favorite “September” by Earth,Wind, and Fire as well as premiering two to three songs from the top forties list,

“There’s even one no one will suspect,” Merryman said.

Fans can also look forward to hearing several mashups in the Belltower Boy’s lineup.

The Bell Tower Boys have come a long way. Since Merryman’s freshman year he states that the group’s “organization, marketing, social media, and videos have gotten better.” All of these aspects have help to better market the group as well as improved vocal skills.

“Everyone knows what Bell Tower Boys is. People know before they come to Furman” Merryman said.

The goal of the tour is to make sure, “everyone at the schools know who they are.”