Nyla Beans, Hidden Bohemian Treasures on Pleasantburg Drive

Nyla Beans, a family owned business located on Pleasantburg Drive, sells a variety of eclectic decor and clothing to fulfill anyone’s free-spirited side.
Nyla Beans, Hidden Bohemian  Treasures on Pleasantburg Drive

Featured imageBy: Sidney Dills, Diversions Editor

No longer do you have to go to Asheville, Bonnaroo, or Whole Foods to get your fill of hippies and local crafts. On Pleasantburg Drive lies a hidden treasure trove for anyone interested in “hippie” or eclectic merchandise—Nyla Beans. Nyla Beans is the perfect place to go to find productions representing your free-spirited attitude.

Nyla Beans is a family owned store that has been on Pleasantburg Drive for almost four years. The business started after a mother and daughter decided to find a place where they could settle down with their jewelry making business while supporting local artists. The store is filled mostly with things that make them happy, the daughter said.

The things that make them happy are a variety of unique items including hippie style clothing, candles, incense, handmade soaps, and other things associated with a bohemian lifestyle.

If you are looking for things to decorate your dorm or apartment at a good price, then consider coming here for tapestries or multi-colored star-shaped lanterns. The tapestries are around $20 for wall hangings the size of twin beds and $25-30 for hangings the size of double beds. The smallest tapestries can easily cover a large part of a wall or be hung up and draped from the ceiling. The star lanterns come in a variety of designs and are much cheaper at Nyla Beans then what you would pay in Asheville, ringing in at $15.

The clothing offered by Nyla Bean includes tunics, lace and fishnet blouses, sarongs, and harem pants in all sizes. The store also offers most of these clothes in plus sizes. Tie-dye clothing can also be found on the left side of the surprisingly large store. The clothes can range anywhere from $20-65.

The store owners make their own jewelry, most of which is beaded, but often has complex builds and charms. The jewelry is reasonably priced, especially when compared to other handmade crafts. My roommate, who has unpierced ears, was pleasantly surprised to find that the store will make any of their earrings clip-on at no extra charge.

Lastly, if you love bumper stickers that reference marijuana, feminism, or liberal ideals then you can easily find something for your car here.

If you are looking for a birthday gift at a good price, then consider coming to Nyla; they even have humorous cards to attach to your present. The store has such a large variety of eclectic items that you are sure to find something that anyone would like. Be careful though, you might end up spending too much money because you want everything for yourself!

Featured imageFeatured imageFeatured image