Making and Keeping Your New Year’s Resolutions

And so begins the New Year! Time to leave 2013 behind and make a fresh start. New Year, new you, right? Right? Contrary to popular belief, and regardless of your probably dismal track record in keeping resolutions, you really do have what it takes to better yourself in the coming year.

So what areas of your life would you like to improve? If you’re like many of us, there’s probably an area of your health that could use some work. Whether it’s reducing stress, getting fit, quitting smoking, or drinking less, any resolution to better your health is a worthy one to pursue … and actually keep. Here are some tips that could help you on the road to success:

Define your goal in such a way that it is measurable. For example, instead of resolving to exercise more, resolve to go to the PAC a certain number of days each week. Instead of resolving to eat healthy, resolve to give up soda, eat a fruit or veggie at every meal, or switch from white to whole-wheat grains. Having a defined goal will give you something concrete to work toward.

When choosing a resolution, make sure it’s one you actually have a chance of keeping. It would be a mistake for most to resolve to go to bed before 10 p.m. every night or to eat healthy all the time. Try not to include the ideas of “always” or “never” and make sure whatever you resolve to do is within your control and your means. For example, don’t resolve to work out five days each week if you know that realistically you don’t have time.

Once you’ve decided upon your goal, take time to make a game plan. If you’re going to quit smoking, don’t just tell yourself you’re going to quit smoking. Do your research. Figure out how you’re going to give yourself the best chance at success. Consider nicotine patches or gum. Figure out what triggers your cravings and what you will do when they hit. Enlist the support of friends or family.

Really taking time to think about the steps you will take to reach your goal is crucial. No matter your resolution, you’re not going to simply stumble into a healthier lifestyle. Making any positive change is hard — that’s why we have to resolve to do it and why so many don’t follow through. But once you’ve armed yourself with a game plan that includes exactly how you are going to change yourself, your schedule, or your life, as well as how you will deal with inevitable setbacks, you’ll be on the right path to better health.

Finally, when making your plan, it’s helpful to set a series of smaller goals on the way to your resolution and reward yourself upon reaching each one. For example, if you resolve to run a marathon, start by working towards a 5K, then a 10K, then a half marathon, etc. Each time you reach a “mini-goal,” reward yourself. And make sure that reward is a healthy one that is not counterproductive. For example, if your goal is to lose weight, don’t reward yourself with a hot fudge sundae (though they are oh so good!). Instead, treat yourself to a massage or a sexy new pair of running shoes.

Hopefully these tips will help you achieve whatever resolution you’ve made for 2014. Making a change is going to be difficult, and you will probably slip up, but keep going. Health isn’t an all-or-nothing deal. Even if you do not follow your resolution 100 percent, any amount of change will still make a positive impact on your health. And if you find mid-way through 2014 (or mid-way through January) that your resolution really isn’t going to work out, don’t be afraid to change it or drop it completely. But if you do, don’t wait until next year to make an effort to better yourself. Jan. 1 is just another day — you can resolve to make healthy changes in your life any day of the year.