Alex Rodriguez’s Suspension Reduced, Creating Problems at Third for Yankees

This past week Major League Baseball suspended Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez for his connections to the Biogenesis clinic and evidence of his interfering with the MLB’s investigation of charges that he took performance enhancing drugs (PEDs). The suspension was reduced from 211 to 162 games (one full season) plus the 2014 playoffs.

A-Rod3

The most important evidence prosecutors have is the testimony of Anthony Bosch, the founder of Biogenesis. He said not only that he provided banned substances for Rodriguez but that he himself injected Rodriguez numerous times. Even though Rodriguez was able to cheat the drug tests, there was still enough evidence to suspend him.

Despite a flawed testing system, A-Rod’s suspension helps send the message to other players that there is more than one way to get caught using banned substances and to be held accountable for it. Rodriguez is also a star player, and at one point in his career he was one of the faces of the MLB, so his suspension lets other players know that it doesn’t matter who you are — baseball is going to clean up this beloved game. The code of silence for PEDs is no longer the status quo.

With Rodriguez’s suspension official, it’s time to look at what the Yankees might do at third base. Last year, Yankee third basemen combined for last in the American League in OPS and 14th in HRs and batting average. The Yankees, in desperate need to improve the position, have already signed left-handed utility man Kelly Johnson to a one year, $3 million contract. He might be the opening day starter, but I don’t think he will be the everyday third baseman.

Johnson, at 32 years old, has never played more than 154 games (2010) and hadn’t played third base until last season (16 games). Looking at free agents, Michael Young and Mark Reynolds would be the best candidates to sign — with outside shots at Stephen Drew and Placido Polanco. Internally, the Yankees have Eduardo Nunez (SS) and defensive specialist Brendan Ryan, a natural shortstop, to help fill the void. These might be the Yankees’ best options.

The signing of outfielders Jacoby Ellsbury and Carlos Beltran and catcher Brian McCann might be enough to take the pressure off General Manager Brian Cashman to sign another third baseman and focus on the more important need — pitching. With the salary cap at $189 million and the Yankees already at $185 million, the question becomes how much the Yankees are willing to go over the cap.