Within an Hour: Holidays in Greenville

With exams a few weeks out, there isn’t much time left in the semester to appreciate the coming holiday season. Even after the semester ends, you may find yourself still around the Greenville area. Consider taking a few quick trips around town to get in the holiday spirit.

To begin the season, attend the Greenville Poinsettia Christmas Parade on Main Street. Beginning at 6 p.m. Dec. 7, the parade consists of holiday floats and activities and is free to the public. roper mtn lights

While downtown, you might also consider stopping by the Hyatt Regency, Hampton Inn and Suites Riverplace, or Courtyard by Marriott to take in the free St. Francis Festival of Trees. Christmas trees, which are decorated and sponsored by local businesses, will be on display throughout the city for the month of December. You can also spend a chilly afternoon ice-skating at the rink downtown — it’s located in the courtyard in front of the Marriott.

Roper Mountain Science Center hosts a holiday light display, running from Thanksgiving until the end of December. There are walking trails, a drive-through exhibit, and multiple other festivities to enjoy any evening of the week. The price is $10 per car, and the event will be open from 6-10 p.m. daily.

The Holiday Fair at the TD Convention Center runs Dec. 5-7 from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Admission is $6, and the event consists of holiday arts and crafts, as well as specialty gifts. This is an excellent chance to take a quick study break and pick up a few gifts for roommates, friends, and family.

The Downtown Greenville Holiday Happening is a new, 10 day celebration (Dec. 13-27) where participating businesses in Greenville offer specials and extended hours for all holiday shoppers. There are extra rewards for shoppers who fill a passport (available at participating stores) with six stamps during their visit downtown, which enters them in a raffle for prizes like gift cards and free hotel stays. Consider this another great opportunity to complete any last-minute holiday shopping you may have left to do.

You don’t have to go far to escape the stress of exam crunch time and experience the festive spirit. Greenville will not disappoint this holiday season.