During Holidays, Heller Excites Furman to Give Back

Every year, the Heller Service Corps tries to find ways to remind Furman students of the importance and benefit of reaching out during the holidays. This year, the Heller Holiday Giving Trees, which are set up in various places around campus, allow students to choose specific items that they can give to one of 53 organizations that request gifts.

For many Furman students, the challenge of juggling assignments and responsibilities makes busy-ness a basic condition of college life, so much so that, by the time the holiday season sneaks up, extending goodwill to others may get lost amongst all the papers and exams.

But every year, the Heller Service Corps tries to find ways to remind Furman students of the importance and benefit of reaching out during the holidays. This year, the Heller Holiday Giving Trees, which are set up in various places around campus, allow students to choose specific items that they can give to one of 53 organizations that request gifts. Heller+Christmas+Tree

“We send a letter to each of our agencies, and they fill out a holiday wish list, and we usually tell them to dream big,” said Nancy Cooper, the Trone Center Coordinator for Volunteer Services. “In the past, we used to see organizations ask for more elaborate things such as toys, but with the economy these days, the things that the agencies ask for are down to the basics.”

In early December, right before students have to start focusing on exams, Heller hosts a lunch where all the gifts are presented to the agencies and then loaded away so they can give the gifts to the intended recipients.

“It is usually very emotional because the agencies have no idea how much we have collected,” Cooper said.

Not only do students participate through the means of the giving trees, but Furman’s faculty and staff contribute as well. Instead of exchanging gifts, a lot of Furman employees opt to donate money and gifts to Heller instead. In past years, faculty and staff have contributed an average of $1500.

Senior Alex Cross, the Student Director for Major Events in Heller Service Corps, described the shopping trips to Wal-Mart, in which she and other students use the money that the faculty and staff donated to buy gifts for the agencies, as one of her most wonderful college moments.

“I almost feel selfish because I experience so much joy from the experience of picking out all the different things that the agencies need,” Cross said.

The holiday giving trees allow Furman students, faculty, and staff to spread holiday cheer and charity to the greater community, and Cooper suggested that the act of giving also brings the Furman community closer together.

“This is one of those things that the whole university participates in,” Cooper said. “It’s simply a happy time, and there is an overwhelming feeling of people excited to give.