Fall Sports Wrap Up

A look at the 2013 fall season

Since it’s the last issue of the semester, The Paladin is taking a look at what the fall sports teams have accomplished thus far.

Women’s Soccer: Finished the season as Southern Conference regular season and conference tournament champions. The team lost to #14 South Carolina in the opening round of the NCAA tournament. Sophomore forward Stephanie DeVita led the team in scoring (15g, 9a) for the second consecutive season.

Men’s Soccer: Eliminated by Wofford for the second consecutive SoCon tournament, the team now awaits to hear the at-large bids announced Monday (11/18) to see if they qualify for the NCAA Tournament. Peaking at #9 in the rankings, the team lost four of their last five games.

Volleyball: Volleyball has been dominant since a slow start to the season, winning 15 of their last 20 matches. Greenville hosts this year’s postseason tournament in which the Paladins are the second seed, behind only GSU, whom they beat twice this year.

Cross Country: Both the men’s and women’s squads took home first place in the SoCon meet. The Paladins bested both Clemson and USC as the top South Carolina finisher in the NCAA Southeast Regional as the men finished 16th (of 35) and the women eighth (of 38). Pegged as the top team in the SoCon, x-country lived up to the high expectations for the 2013 campaign.

Football: With four straight wins, the team is poised to take a share of the conference title, and most likely a birth to the NCAA playoffs, with a win over Wofford. Consistent defense and very few turnovers have been the Paladins mantra all season.

Golf: Inexperienced men’s and women’s squads showed growth this fall season. The men’s best finish was fourth at Louisville, and the Lady Paladins finished fifth in their own tournament.

Congratulations to all of the Paladins teams on successful fall seasons, and best of luck to the teams in their remaining games. Women’s soccer and both cross country teams have already qualified for the NCAA playoff this year, and men’s soccer, football, and volleyball all have a chance to add to that list.