Who’s Playing That? Behind the Bell Tower’s Bells

Furman’s bell tower is perhaps the most beloved, recognizable symbol of the university, a major landmark of both the original downtown campus as well as today’s campus. Since 1965 when a replica of the original bell tower was built on the lake, the tower has represented Furman: Furman catering is Bell Tower Catering, the campus men’s a cappella club calls itself the Bell Tower Boys, and there is even a tradition of the “Bell Tower Kiss.”

bell tower

Furman’s bell tower is perhaps the most beloved, recognizable symbol of the university, a major landmark of both the original downtown campus as well as today’s campus. Since 1965 when a replica of the original bell tower was built on the lake, the tower has represented Furman: Furman catering is Bell Tower Catering, the campus men’s a cappella club calls itself the Bell Tower Boys, and there is even a tradition of the “Bell Tower Kiss.” The bell tower’s familiarity is almost innocuous. On the hour and every 15 minutes, students, faculty, and staff across campus can hear its chimes. And yet, there are those random moments when actual hymns, familiar songs, and just single notes are heard from the tower. Common examples include the Harry Potter and Charlie Brown theme songs. Students often wonder to one another — why is that playing now? Who is responsible for these musical outbreaks?

Enter the Quaternion club, a select men’s honor society comprised of four juniors and eight seniors. The club’s membership is based on “character, scholarship, leadership, loyalty, and service to [Furman].” Such notable Furman figures as John E. Johns, H.J. Haynsworth, and John L. Plyler have been members. In 1910, the club was entrusted with the upkeep of the Old College building, the last remnant of the original downtown campus. The Quaternion club inducts new members in the Old College each year, and members occasionally play carillon in the bell tower from a keyboard in the building.

The Old College itself, which is located directly behind the bell tower’s isthmus, contains a current keyboard, as well as an older baton-style keyboard which is no longer connected to the tower. The current keyboard may be played manually, as with a traditional piano, but it’s also programmed with a variety of automatic song options.

As for the bell tower itself, not many people can get inside, although some students have been known to attempt break-ins in years past. The tower contains 60 bells, all of which function as part of the carillon instrument. Last year, through a joint effort with SGA, professors in the music department, including Department Chair Mark Britt, worked to re-calibrate the bells so that they would play precisely on time.