Within an Hour: Asheville, NC

Looking for a weekend adventure within an hour of Furman? Asheville, N.C., located an hour away from Furman’s campus, merits a full weekend of exploration, with many return trips planned for the future. With activities to please any college student looking for a break from studies, or merely a change of scenery in a fascinating city, Asheville is well worth the trip.
Within an Hour: Asheville, NC

Asheville-NC

Just south of Asheville you will find the North Carolina Arboretum. Situated near Pisgah National Forest and the Blue Ridge Parkway, the arboretum offers incredible scenic views of the surrounding mountains as well as a beautiful garden display. This peaceful setting is comprised of multiple walking paths taking you through the many gardens located throughout the large property. The arboretum features a bonsai exhibit, the Quilt Garden mimicking the block prints of quilt designs, the Heritage Garden which highlights Appalachian culture and plant life, the National Native Azalea Collection, and many other botanical displays.

On the outskirts of Asheville, you will find the Biltmore Estate, an 8,000 acre property built by George Vanderbilt. The 250-room home, gardens, and grounds are open for tours. While admission costs $60 per person, it is a trip worth taking at some point during your years at Furman. From a more economical perspective, consider stopping by Biltmore Village, located just across from the Biltmore Estate on your way into Asheville. The village is a quaint mix of restaurants and specialty shops which can make for a pleasant afternoon of exploration. One of these specialty shops is a wine shop in which you can taste different local wines, including the special Biltmore vintage.

Asheville proper has a lot to offer in terms of activities to suit any interest. The city boasts a multitude of excellent restaurants, tea rooms, and independent coffee shops such as The Green Sage or Dubra Tea. Should you find yourself stifled by the atmosphere of anxiety on campus during exams, consider relocating to an Asheville coffee shop for the day — you may be surprised at how productive your studies can become with a mere change of location.

Asheville also offers a myriad of shops for those who prefer to spend the day walking the streets. Asheville’s many independent bookstores are also a great place to spend a few hours, with a cozy ambiance and hundreds of titles, new and old, to peruse. For music enthusiasts, check out Asheville’s record stores, or plan your trip around one of the many music festivals that the city hosts each year. There are plenty of street performers who can play everything from guitars to drums to didgeridoos. On Friday nights there is a drum circle in the center of the downtown area. People of all different backgrounds gather at 6 p.m. and start making music. Anyone is welcome to join the drum circle or just watch the performance.

Asheville is also a great town for those interested in outdoor activities. Within the city, ClimbMax is a climbing gym geared mostly towards bouldering, but with a large outdoor wall which affords the unique experience of outdoor climbing right downtown. Just outside of Asheville, however, are many great outdoor climbing areas, hiking and biking trails, and the gorgeous Blue Ridge Parkway.

If you are looking for great vegan or vegetarian food try The Laughing Seed, a restaurant fully devoted to this lifestyle. Their prices range from $6 to $15, and they have a specialty brunch on the weekends. The Laughing Seed is also a great place to go at night, not just for dinner, but also for the bar in the basement. The bar has a tavern feel and a full selection of drinks.

Even if you don’t have the time for a visit before the end of the semester, add Asheville to your college bucket list; you won’t be disappointed.