Remembering Furman Football’s Glory Days

I remember waking up at four in the morning to make the drive to Chattanooga for the 2001 National Championship game against the Montana Grizzlies. Even though the team came up short, those were much better days for Furman football. Under the direction of Bobby Johnson from 1994-2001, the Paladins experienced a lot of success.

I remember waking up at four in the morning to make the drive to Chattanooga for the 2001 National Championship game against the Montana Grizzlies. Even though the team came up short, those were much better days for Furman football. Under the direction of Bobby Johnson from 1994-2001, the Paladins experienced a lot of success. His overall record was 60-36 with three playoff appearances in eight years as head coach.

1999 was one of the biggest years for the Paladins. The team went 9-3, owned a share of the Southern Conference title, and beat the University of North Carolina 28-3. The following year, star running back Louis Ivory rushed for 2,079 yards and 16 touchdowns, earning him the Walter Peyton award as the most outstanding player in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS).

But the late ‘90s and early ‘00s wasn’t the summit of Furman’s football success. The Paladins dominated the ‘80s. The team won six SoCon titles and made two National Championship appearances. Head coach Dick Sheridan won six SoCon titles from ‘78-‘85. In ‘85 he coached the Paladins to a 12-2 record and a National Championship appearance against rival Georgia Southern.

But three years later under head coach Jimmy Satterfield, Furman recorded its best season in school history. Going 13-2 on the season, the team won the FCS National Championship, beating Georgia Southern 17-2 to become the first private school to win a football title.

After battling Georgia Southern and Appalachian State for best in the SoCon for so many years, it was great to end both of those rivalries with a win. Both teams are moving up to the Football Bowl Subdivision. Now it is time for the Paladins to make new rivals and add to the great tradition of Furman Paladins football.