Previewing Homecoming: A Look at Changes for the Week Ahead

Homecoming at Furman will undergo a few minor changes this year, implemented through the Student Alumni Council and FUSAB, the two organizations that jointly plan and sponsor homecoming.

Homecoming consists of a “spirit week” leading up to homecoming weekend along with the weekend itself. Events during this time period are presented by SAC and FUSAB. Spirit week events include the launch of HAVOC, an all-day and all-night fundraising event, an outdoor movie, a chalking competition, and a pep rally the night before the game. All of these events are based on a general theme which changes each year — this year the theme is “A Night at the Oscars.”

Horseplay is the annual skit event, hosted by comedian Collin Moultin, featuring original skits created by the participating teams. This year, a host will provide extra entertainment and commentary in addition to the skits. The event is open to the student body and will be in McAlister Auditorium Thursday night at 6 p.m.

Before the football game on Saturday, Greek tailgates as well as a free tailgate for non-Greeks will take place. The latter aims to include more of the student body in the homecoming experience.

The annual homecoming dance, taking place this Saturday night, has been significantly altered from previous years. This homecoming, the dance will be held on the intramural fields by North Village as opposed to a venue downtown like in previous years.

“We are very excited about the dance this year,” said Matthew Powell, Annual Committee Chair on FUSAB. “There will be a lit up tent, red carpet, and photographer. People can just walk over. It’s a lot more accessible.”

SAC has made efforts to improve homecoming as well, attempting to strengthen ties between the student body and alumni as well as between Greek organizations and their alumni.

Sarrin Warfield, the Assistant Director of Alumni Programs, reached out to participating teams early on in the planning of homecoming. Warfield was an active participant in Greek Life and represents the group of alumni who have chosen to partner with the participating organizations.

Homecoming spirit week began Monday, Nov. 4, and ends Saturday, Nov. 9, and organizers emphasized that they want spirit week to be for everyone.

“We hope that our activities are recognized, and that the students have fun, said Emily Peck, SAC homecoming chair. “We hope that homecoming will bring everyone together.”