Within an Hour: Table Rock

Take an afternoon to relax and enjoy the beautiful fall weather. Consider visiting Table Rock State Park, located 45 minutes from Furman. It is one of many great places to see leaves that have changed colors and enjoy the fresh, crisp fall air.
Within an Hour: Table Rock

table rock

Even though midterms are behind us, the second half of the semester can seem far busier than the first few months as the academic assignments begin to pile up. All the more reason to take an afternoon to relax and enjoy the beautiful fall weather. Consider visiting Table Rock State Park, located 45 minutes from Furman. It is one of many great places to see leaves that have changed colors and enjoy the fresh, crisp fall air.

Table Rock is situated on more than 3,000 acres of land and is one of 16 South Carolina State Parks built by the Civilian Conservation Corps. Table Rock seeks to appeal to a wide range of interests, offering a variety of activities with a simple $2 admission fee. Table Rock hosts more than 90 camping sites, two large lakes in which one can fish, canoe, or kayak, three waterfalls, and multiple hiking trails, some of which lead to the tops of Table Rock and Pinnacle Mountain. Fishing boats, canoes, kayaks, and pedal boats can be rented for a small fee. For bluegrass enthusiasts, there is a monthly Music on the Mountain series at the Table Rock Lodge; the next session will be Nov. 9. Attendees are encouraged to bring along their own acoustic instruments and play along. The show is free to attend.

The hike up to Table Rock itself is approximately 3.6 miles and is popular among many Furman students. It is a steep climb which can take most of an afternoon for the round trip, but the views from the top are spectacular. If you are feeling ambitious and would like to plan a longer trip for Thanksgiving break, Table Rock has an access point to the Foothills Trail, an 80 mile trail connecting many of South Carolina’s State Parks.

Take your studies outside to a rocking chair on the Table Rock Lodge porch, or leave your work behind you for a few hours to truly explore all that Table Rock has to offer.