Aviation Association Explores Physics of Flight

Founded last year by sophomores Chase Fiedler and William Lewis, the Furman Aviation Association has been successfully building functioning, electric model aircraft through the utilization of basic engineering and design concepts.

The idea for the club originated when Fiedler’s physics professor, Dr. Joseph Conrad, brought in an electric airplane to demonstrate the concept of torque to his physics class. When he learned that Fiedler had previous high school experience working with electric aircraft, Conrad suggested he start a club on campus.

Four new members, several computer generated designs, and one fully-built airplane later, the club has been quickly gained steam. The club’s main project during its first semester was the construction of a Delta Wing aircraft, dubbed “The Tri-Delt.” In addition, Fiedler spent his May-X programming an Arduino micro-controller to function as an autopilot for one of the club’s airplanes.

For Fiedler, the current president, the organization’s work is as much about the collaborative design process as it is about the outcome of functional airplanes.

“It’s fun to build a simpler airplane that flies, but it can be more fun to work on something complicated, even if it doesn’t fly yet,” he said.

The club is housed in the physics department, and all of its projects draw on concepts in math, computer programming, electrical circuitry, and classical physics. It is the challenge of figuring out how to utilize these concepts to optimize an airplane that Fiedler identified as the most enjoyable part of the club.

This year, the Aviation Association, which is open to all Furman students, plans to expand its membership and has several new designs in the works. The club is currently working with Public Safety to find times when members might be allowed to fly planes around campus. In the future, the club also plans to compete in the annual American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Design Build Fly competition, which involves universities around the country.