New Rules Address Alcohol Safety at Greek Events

The rules apply to everyone, but the new student organization policies implemented this year have had their greatest effect on Greek organizations. The reason? Alcohol’s involved.

The rules apply to everyone, but the new student organization policies implemented this year have had their greatest effect on Greek organizations.

The reason? Alcohol’s involved.

“We have to make sure that we protect our Greek organizations because those host events that more typically have alcohol,” said Scott Derrick, Director of the Trone Student Center.

Derrick said the safety and risk issues of campus organizations were “never looked at as intricately as they should,” so at the end of the spring 2013 semester, a committee of students and faculty decided it was time to revamp Furman’s policies on student organizations.

These policies were put into effect this fall and included a revision of the rules of conduct and precautions that all organizations on campus must follow.

The biggest changes include the prohibition of alcohol at recruitment activities and new member programs as well as the consumption of alcohol in the form of drinking games.

In addition, parties hosted by student organizations must be approved beforehand by the Office of Student Activities, and the organization must also submit a guest list that allows a maximum of two guests per member of the organization. Also, if more than 25 percent of the given organization is present, it is considered a function and the organization must complete the required paperwork for such an event and hire paid security.

Derrick explained that the purpose of the changes is to protect campus organizations from liability.

“We want organizations to have events, have a good time, but be protected,” he said.

Cameron Smith, Assistant Director for Student Organizations and Greek Life, agreed that the rules are about making students safer and said they bring Furman’s policies to where they need to be.

“Furman has been behind the times in terms of what the university required from student organizations hosting events where alcohol is present,” she said. “These policy changes are part of the shift that has been taking place at Furman over the past few years.”

Smith said students have had concerns about the new rules but said that overall they’ve been understanding.

“Any time there is change, I expect there to be some resistance,” she said. “However, I must say how proud I am of our fraternity and sorority leadership for stepping up and trying to do the right thing.”

Junior Coady Shovlain, social chair of the fraternity Pi Kappa Phi, said it would take time for students to adjust to the new rules and praised the administration for patience.

“Overall the administration has been very understanding and conscious of the fact that these changes have not yet integrated into the ‘Furman Culture’ so to speak,” he said, adding that the rules “are the perfect reminder that the administration has our best interest at heart.”

So far, the changes to student organization policies have produced a challenging transition, especially for Greek organizations, but there haven’t been any significant problems. Smith said she thinks that students will come to embrace the changes.

“Furman students are more willing to buy into policies as long as they understand the ‘why’ behind the requirements,” she said, “and I think we’ve done a good job at trying to explain our reasoning.”