Cuban Ball Players

Recently the Cuban players have been making their presence known with great performances, and they’ve managed this despite relatively few numbers — there are just 21 Cuban players in the MLB, not even enough to field a full 25 man roster.

Major League Baseball is gaining an ever more diverse player pool. Though there are many different baseball leagues across the world, the MLB is the top tier where great players go to prove themselves. It draws players from countries like Japan and Korea all the way to Panama and Cuba. Recently the Cuban players have been making their presence known with great performances, and they’ve managed this despite relatively few numbers — there are just 21 Cuban players in the MLB, not even enough to field a full 25 man roster.

However, the looking at their journey to join the MLB from Cuba may shed some light on their success. Due to the political state of Cuba, aspiring MLB players cannot just leave to go play the game in America. They are forced to defect from the country, usually a tough process not only because of the difficulties of leaving itself but also because of the hardship of leaving their friends and family behind, many of whom they may never see again. Going to play in the MLB is not a decision made on a whim; these players have to have a drive to succeed that can make them stars in the game. This focus has allowed many of them to quickly adjust from the typically easier Cuban League to play in the much harder MLB.

The success of these Cubans who make it to America should come as no surprise. Yoenis Cespedes was one of the most heralded Cuban signings of the past few years, going to the Oakland Athletics in 2011 and providing them with a five tool threat. He played a major role in getting them to the playoffs last year hitting an impressive slash line of .292/.356/.506 and bashing 23 home runs. He’s struggled with injuries this year holding his line down to .240/.294/.442 but has managed to increase his home run total to 26. He will be a key factor on a team that once again looks to make a deep run into the playoffs.

Aroldis Chapman is another Cuban player making headlines since he came over. He signed with the Cincinnati Reds at a young age and has served as their closer for the past two years. Chapman has a special talent for throwing a baseball evidenced by the time he threw a pitch 105.1 mph, the new fastest pitch on record. As a closer he has the ability to shut down the opposing team in the ninth inning, sometimes with nothing more than his fastball. He’s recorded 38 saves each of the past two years and he, too, will be trying to help his team go deep in the playoffs.

Jose Iglesias has been able to help not just one but two teams make the playoffs this year. Iglesias filled in for the Red Sox’s struggling third baseman for much of the season. He hit .330/.376/.409 in that time while managing to handle a temporary switch from shortstop to third without trouble. He was then traded to the Tigers to fill their hole at shortstop while Jhonny Peralta has been suspended for using performance enhancing drugs. Iglesias again did not disappoint, hitting .267/.314/.359 and showing off his fantastic defense at shortstop, a position he plays better than almost anyone in the Majors. His great play this year has put him as one of the front runners for the AL Rookie of the Year Award.

The NL Rookie of the Year Award is all but guaranteed to go to a Cuban player, either Yasiel Puig or Jose Fernandez. Puig has had a stunning impact on the NL West since being called up earlier this year. He helped take an underperforming Dodgers team, who were just 24-32 at the time of his call up, and propelled them to winning the NL West with a 92-68 record. Puig is well known for his aggressive play in the field. He has eight assists on the season, many of which have come from throwing out runners from his position in the outfield. He, like Cespedes, is an all around threat. His outstanding arm is just a part of a standout package showcased by his .322/.393/.538 line in 102 games this year along with 19 home runs and 11 stolen bases.

Even with Puig’s ridiculous start to his career, he may very well end up runner-up in the NL Rookie of the Year Award to fellow Cuban Jose Fernandez. Fernandez is just 20 years old but already looks like one of the best pitchers in the league. On a lackluster Marlins team, he has provided a reason for fans to go to games, posting a miniscule 2.19 ERA on the season, second only to Clayton Kershaw (1.83) in the MLB. Kershaw looks like a lock to win the NL Cy Young this year, but had Fernandez not been shut down on an innings limit, he may have given him a run for his money. It may seem insane to compare a rookie to the 2011 Cy Young winner, but Fernandez has the right stuff: his 9.7 strikeouts per nine innings actually beats Kershaw’s 8.8 K/9 this year. Best of all he improved as the year went on as his highest monthly ERA was back in April at 4.50 and his second highest was in May at 3.18. 2013 looks to be the start of an outstanding career for the young flamethrower.

Somehow there is even more talent on the way from Cuba. Jorge Abreu recently defected from the island and is rumored to have just been declared a free agent by the MLB. He’s considered by some to be the best player yet to come from Cuba. Though it does not translate directly, it’s worth noting that Abreu hit .382/.535/.837 in the Cuban league this year. Were he to come anywhere near that line in the MLB, he would be the best hitter in the league. Baseball America said, “Abreu is an intelligent hitter without a lot of effort in his swing and the power to hit 30-plus homers in a season.” After Robinson Cano he may be the most attractive free agent this offseason as MLB teams will certainly view him in light of the success that these other Cuban players have found in the MLB.