Comeback Victory over Presbyterian

Furman Football rose after halftime to win its first game of the season, beating Presbyterian College 21-20. It was the first home game for the Paladins, and the result leaves both teams with 1-2 records.

The Paladins sealed the win on the final play of the game when Furman defensive back Jairus Hollman blocked a potential game winning field goal.

Furman jumped out ahead early with a 16-play, 66-yard drive that finished with a six-yard touchdown run by sophomore quarterback Reese Hannon. However, Presbyterian answered right back with three touchdown drives to complete the first half, including two touchdown runs by running back Demarcus Rouse. A missed extra point led to a halftime score of 20-7.

Furman rallied in the second half, with defensive back Austin Williams forcing a Presbyterian fumble. The fumble recovery led to a quick touchdown drive, with Furman running back Hank McCloud scoring the first of his two touchdowns on a two yard run.

Furman’s defense then forced a PC three-and-out, and the offense capitalized with another McCloud touchdown on a 26-yard run. The score put Furman ahead by one, and proved to be the game winner.

The victory was not yet in hand, however, as the game was a nail-biter until the end. Presbyterian drove down the field in the final seconds, eating the clock and positioning themselves inside Furman’s 10-yard line. The last second field goal was then blocked on an amazing effort play by Jairus Hollman, who managed to get in position to knock the kick down with an outstretched hand.

Quarterback Reese Hannon went 10 of 19 for 51 yards passing, while RB Hank McCloud led all rushers with 22 rushes for 104 yards and 2 touchdowns. The Paladins will next travel to face the Citadel in Charleston to open their Southern Conference schedule.

At halftime of the game, Furman unveiled their new logo for the athletic teams, which can be seen on page 8. The logo, which had been marketed as “The Paladin Rises” since the summer, raises the question, what exactly are the Paladins rising from?

Trent McCann contributed to this article.