Senior, Gandier Looks to Lead Paladins

After a few seasons of falling just short of expectations, Furman’s men’s soccer team is looking to make an impact on the national scale this season. That goal may seem too lofty after the departures of two of their top players, Walker Zimmerman and Coleton Henning, but this year’s team might be even better.

It all starts with senior midfielder Michael Gandier, #18, whom the Paladins are relying on to help push them through the tough season ahead.

Gandier is looking to build off a great 2012 season in which he scored five goals and one assist on his way to earning All-Southern Conference First Team honors. He’s started off well this season, scoring in the Paladins’ exhibition game against Wake Forest, and also earned pre-season All-SoCon honors.

Hopefully this bodes well for a strong final season from Gandier, who surprisingly didn’t score until the Paladin’s 14th game last season. That initial goal, a game winner in overtime to cap off a brilliant comeback against Clemson, propelled Gandier the rest of the season. He went on to score another four goals in the team’s last six games, including another game-winner in double overtime against Wofford.

The goal scoring ability is clearly there for Gandier, who led the Paladins last year in goals per shot, at 27.8 percent. He also had a team-leading three game-winning goals.

But to replace the production from the departure of Henning and Zimmerman, who combined for 14 goals last year, Gandier will need to take more chances.

Scoring is not the only place #18 will have an impact though.

In his Paladins career, Gandier has shown a fantastic ability to maneuver the ball deftly through the opposing team’s midfield and direct it toward teammates who present goal scoring threats.

He should also be a stabilizing veteran to help steady the 2013 Paladins in all areas of the field.