Meet the Class of 2017

Last week, about 775 student from around the country and around the world made their way to Greenville to begin their Furman education.

Last week, about 775 student from around the country and around the world made their way to Greenville to begin their Furman education.

The class of 2017 kicked off Orientation Week festivities soon after moving in Friday. Except for a few event name and location changes, O-Week did not change much from last year.

“We switched a few things around, but it’s still the same awesome O-Week,” said senior Shane Farmer, a member of Orientation Staff.

During the last two weeks of June, around 82 percent of the freshman class came to Furman for a 36 hour Summer Orientation during which they met with advisors and learned about classes.

“Summer Orientation students get a lot of information so fall can be about making new students feel comfortable on campus,” said Associate Director for Student Activities Jessica Berkey. “The Summer Orientation program added so much for transition for new students. Now students come here already knowing a few people.”

Fall Orientation included everything from residence hall activities to a showing of “Star Trek: Into Darkness” Friday night.

On Saturday, O-Week traditions included everything from hall parties to the famous Blackout rave at the amphitheater. The rave started in 2007 as a replacement for Furman’s old tradition of fountain hopping, which was deemed a safety hazard.

On Sunday, the class of 2017 gathered for their official class picture, participated in the “Olympics” (the new name for Field Fest), visited downtown Greenville with their residence halls, and then enjoyed the O-Week Carnival, which was moved from Blackwell Field to the Chapel parking lot because of bad weather.

Monday afternoon, freshmen dressed up and were bused over to the President’s Picnic at White Oaks for desserts.

“Fall O-Week is all about being fun and loud,” said junior Sarah Katherine DeVenny, a member of Orientation Staff.

Freshmen Facts

National Honor Society Members: 313

Captains of an athletic team: 252

Student Body/Class Presidents: 51

Editors of School Publication: 51

Major role in community service: 234

Religious Group Officers: 91

Musical groups led: 90

School/Community Theater Stars: 61

Artists: 41

Conducted academic research: 15

Founded an organization: 51

Published authors: 9