Relaxation and Exercise: The Key to Surviving Finals

Getting active when you barely have time to breathe is hard. Between classes, clubs, studying, and the occasional spurt of this rare things we call “fun,” doing something physical seems more like a chore. However your days play out here at Furman, it’s never easy to take the time to be physically active. Truth is it doesn’t take that much movement to make you feel better.

Getting active when you barely have time to breathe is hard. Between classes, clubs, studying, and the occasional spurt of this rare things we call “fun,” doing something physical seems more like a chore. However your days play out here at Furman, it’s never easy to take the time to be physically active. Truth is it doesn’t take that much movement to make you feel better. Taking a walk or a bike ride for just twenty minutes can improve your mood, clear your mind, and even make you a little healthier.

Try to take a walk around the lake. You’ll find neat trails that you never knew existed. There’s a a little something for everyone. For those who just want a simple walk, the paved path around the lake is a great way to appreciate Furman’s beauty and get some fresh air. If you’re looking to escape a little more without leaving the campus, there are some trails through the Furman woods that are absolutely beautiful. However, for those who simply need to get off campus pronto, the Swamp Rabbit Trail is always a wonderful choice. This gorgeous paved path connects directly to the backside of the lake and can take you all the way into Downtown Greenville or Traveler’s Rest. Whichever path you choose, you’re sure to have a well-deserved break from studying for your dreaded Econ exam.

If you have a bike on campus, use it! Besides being better for your health than using your car, riding a bike is better for the environment’s health, too! If you have the time to do so, take the Swamp Rabbit into downtown Greenville on two wheels instead of four. It really doesn’t take that long and you can reward yourself with a cupcake from the Chocolate Moose if you’d like (I’m partial to the salted caramel).

We all know that sometimes taking these kinds of breaks is impossible. If you really have to get that paper done, take a five minute break to stretch out or do some simple yoga poses. Studies show that just getting your blood flow up and going improves brain function and relieves stress. Maybe even some jumping jacks to wake you up! Something as simple as taking a walk around the room will clear your mind and help you get ready for those exams coming up.

If you DO get the opportunity to go to the PAC a few times a week, hats off to you! Just remember not to push yourself too hard. It’s important to keep your immune system at its peak during this last month. Try going 3 or 4 times a week and getting plenty of sleep and rest in between. I know, I know. Sleep is basically impossible. Trust me though, getting an hour more of sleep and an hour less of studying in will not kill you. In fact, it will help you. So hit the paths, the gym, and the sack!