Healthy Food Choices: DH Tour

There are times in college when you just need a good burger and warm cookies. I’m talking Cookout and Dining Hall to the max. But there are also times, actually 90% of the time, when your body needs good, clean fuel. My goal is to give you ways to make healthy eating just a little easier and that occasional splurge just a little more occasional.

We’ve all heard the complaints: “The DH sucks; all they have is pizza and burgers” and “Veggies are just gross and the apples are always bruised.” I promise though, the DH is NOT that bad (for the most part). Let’s go on a little “healthy eating” tour, shall we?

SoHo Side: The sandwich bar (sandwich rounds, plenty of veggies, lean turkey on occasion, spicy mustard), the pasta station (whole wheat pasta sometimes, grilled veggies), the all important and mostly delicious veggie bar (when they get it right, it can be incredible), the pizza bar (spices galore to add a little flavor without all that salt).

Salad Bar: Go for some soup! When they have smart choices (like black bean or veggie), try a bowl with a large salad (stacked high with veggies, hummus, beans, and oil and vinegar).

Lakeside: Occasionally fruit salad and grilled chicken patties (NOT fried) and the gluten free section (just try the fish or brown rice when they’re available). The vegetarian station on occasion can have pretty great choices.

Cereal: Plain Cheerios, whole wheat sandwich round, or bread with some honey or plain yogurt from the salad bar (make sure the first word on the ingredient list is “whole” to ensure that you’re making the best choice).

Produce: If you can find some fruit that looks relatively fresh, take advantage of it! There’s no better way to fill up and stay full than a nice apple.

Try switching up your meals. Eating the same thing every day can get boring, and eventually your body will start to get tired of your new healthy eating habits. New flavor combinations can make your food more interesting. Try some oregano on your broccoli, some salsa on your salad, or some almonds and honey on your plain yogurt.

If you’re really daring, give tofu on your salad a try. This plant-based protein source gives you the fuel to get through the day while not loading you down with fat and calories (make sure you add some other flavors if you’re a newcomer, though). Aim for one healthier meal per week. Try a small salad instead of fries or a turkey sandwich instead of a burger. A small change can make a big difference!