Harassing Texts Sent to Greek Community

Anonymous harassing text messages have been sent out to students. The texts, ranging from inappropriate and harassing to just gossipy, are sent from random Google numbers.

Throughout this year, there has been a new type of crime that has both the University Police and Information Technology involved in trying to stop it. Anonymous harassing text messages have been sent out to students.

The texts, ranging from inappropriate and harassing to just gossipy, are sent from random Google numbers. In several cases, the person (or persons) responsible impersonated students on campus.

Furman University Police have been involved in this issue since the fall. Also, because only members of the Greek community have been involved, it was brought to the attention of Cameron Smith, Assistant Director for Student Organizations & Greek Life.

Smith said that Furman’s administration has been doing the best they can to deal with this issue, while at the same time the University Police has been working with Information Technology Services to track down who is responsible.

“It’s a collaborative effort with Student Life, Greek organizations, and IT Services,” said Police Lieutenant David Enter. “Cameron Smith is working from her position because, let’s face it, people don’t always want to come to the police.”

Smith has been holding joint council meetings with members of the sorority and fraternity organizations. Many sororities and fraternities have also discussed the issue in their chapters, and members of the Greek community have been sent information by email about the situation.

“If whoever [is responsible] is in a Greek organization, they would have heard it addressed,” said Smith. “But it hasn’t stopped.”

Neither Enter, nor Sheryl Higgins, the Furman University Police Officer working on the case, said there was any way to know whether the culprit was inside the Greek community or not.

So far, those targeted have been seemingly random, other than all from sororities or fraternities. The motive is not clear yet.

“Clearly there is a motive to incite something if someone thinks it is a prank or that it’s funny,” said Cassidy. “But if there is malice, we need to find the person to know that.”

Furman University Police have been collecting info and working with IT Services, but little progress on the case has been made.

Using Google, the students responsible created phone numbers without their name connected. They did this on their cell phones or on networks other than Furman’s, making it difficult for Furman to trace.

Furman administration advises students not to reply to anonymous texts.

“Sometimes receivers communicate back and forth with senders,” said Enter. “We highly discourage communicating with people if you don’t know who they are.”

Also, students should be aware that this is happening and be cautious in giving out personal information.

“Don’t respond to people if you aren’t sure it’s them,” said Smith.

If you receive a message from a random number, the easiest way to find out if it’s legitimate or not is to call the number. If it goes to a Google account, hang up, and contact the University Police.

When found, those responsible will face charges through the Furman Conduct System. It will be up to individual students who received harassing texts if they wish to pursue anything further.

“This type of thing has no value, it’s hurtful, and it’s cowardly,” said Cassidy.