Reddick-ulous Performance by Team Stars

Twin Reddick Brothers have helped lead the men’s basketball team this season.

As we approach the final third of SoCon play, the Paladin men’s basketball team stands in fifth place in the South division with a 3-9 conference record.

In a season that’s outcome has not met expectations, two stars have shone brightly and have put on brilliant performances to lead the men’s basketball team.

Statistically they are the team leaders, headlining the top two spots for both scoring and rebounding. The pair also combined to score 47, well over half of Furman’s points in a losing effort to the Citadel. Oh yeah, and they are also twin brothers.

Colin and Charlie Reddick came to play basketball at Furman in 2009 from McEachern High School in Powder Springs, GA and have been an integral part of the team since their arrival. However, no season thus far in their careers has been as successful as this one, as they have stepped up to take the reigns of the team.

Colin Reddick, a senior forward, is the true center piece of the team this year, leading the Paladins with 12.7 ppg and 6.4 rpg replace the impact of last season’s leading scorer, Brandon Sebirumbi.

Listed at 6’9”, 240 pounds, he is the ideal size for an effective big man. Along with his physical advantage, he also boasts a dynamic scoring ability from the post that has clearly and substantially improved over the course of his career. He has the ability to either back down defenders or face up and hit a short jumper effectively.

When his teammates are able to get the ball to him in a one on one situation on the block, he is nearly impossible to stop. Attention paid to his offensive arsenal often leads to opposing teams double teaming him, effectively stopping him, but leaving a window of opportunity for open teammates to score.

He also wreaks havoc on the offensive glass, ripping down 2.8 offensive rebounds per game. As he has shown throughout his career, he is a great defender with exceptional discipline and the ability to block and contest shots in the paint without committing fouls.

His exceptional play for the Paladins this season has put him in the conversation as one of the Southern Conference’s best big men.

Charlie Reddick, a red-shirt junior who plays on the wing, also possesses a dangerous offensive game. Not only is he capable of creating his own shot off the dribble, but he exhibits a superior leaping ability that allows him to throw down highlight dunks like a facial against the Citadel worthy of Sportscenter’s Top 10.

He is perhaps most effective though as a three point shooter, as he can absolutely stroke it from downtown, leading the team in three-pointers made and making nearly 40 percent of his attempts from beyond the arc. His offensive prowess and playmaking abilities make him a go-to guy when the Paladins need a bucket.

To say he is an offense only player is, as Stephen A. Smith would say, “Blasphemous.”

A true jack of all trades, Charlie often gets the defensive assignment on some of the SoCon’s best scorers, and more often than not is able to neutralize them effectively.

He is second on the team in steals as well as assists. He is also an effective rebounder for his size at 6’5”, snagging 5.4 rebounds per game.

With one year left of eligibility, expect him to make an even greater contribution and be one of the major focal points of the team in the 2013-2014 basketball season.

The Paladins only have two remaining home games as they look to close out the season on a high note.

As the approaching games are all away, the next chance to see the Reddick brothers and the rest of the Furman men’s basketball team in action is Mar. 2 at 4 p.m. as they take on College of Charleston in Timmons Arena.