$1.5 Million Soccer Building Project Accelerates

The Furman soccer program looks ahead to a new locker room and supporting facilities for next year.

After all the successes from the soccer programs at Furman we’ve seen—including producing world-class players Clint Dempsey and Ricardo Clark, as well as this year’s women’s team advancing to the semi-finals and the men’s high national rankings—it is time for something to be given back to the teams.

Throughout these past seasons, the teams have proven their worth, dedication and pride for playing for Furman.

For these reasons, the teams deserve a new facility. Furman alum and former Paladin soccer player Graham Seagraves pledged $145,000 earlier this year toward the Fieldhouse Project.

The Fieldhouse Project is a building plan to construct new locker rooms in the stadium, as well as other supporting facilities for the soccer programs. The Fieldhouse Project is something that men’s soccer coach, Doug Allison, and Seagraves have been discussing for roughly seven years now.

Unfortunately, there was no active ingredient to making this project a reality. Until now, that is.

Earlier this year, at an alum soccer tailgate, Clint Hill of Furman’s Development Office, Seagraves, and other alum players discussed where the project stood.

Hill explained that the project was still where it was seven years ago—it was going nowhere. This is when Seagraves realized what needed to be done.

“Well, let’s do something; let’s get a catalyst to get this thing moving,” said Seagraves. Seagraves reminisced about his old glory days as a Furman soccer player. He describes how Furman was always playing the “top dogs”, traveling to intense soccer schools and using their facilities. “We were playing all the big boys, and when you go there you’re sitting in real locker rooms right by the stadium,” said Seagraves.

At Furman, most of the team believed the facilities and locker room to be of “lower quality than public schools.” There was no doubt in his mind that something had to change and from that point on, Seagraves decided to make a donation to Furman to help jump start the production of these new facilities.

With his gift, the fundraising has continues and Furman has raised $1.1 million of the estimated $1.5 million needed.

The ultimate goal is to break ground in time for the 2013 season and for Furman to host the Southern Conference Men’s Soccer Tournament that year.

“The fact that it’s close [to being reality] is really good,” said Coach Allison. “The whole experience will be important for [our fans]. Not only is it an entertaining product on the field, they want to be able to get a drink and a hot dog.”