Furman Volleyball Record Three Wins, Two Losses

The Paladins score three victories and two losses. Seniors are recognized at their game against College of Charleston.

The Paladins’ wins against Winthrop on Oct. 23, Chattanooga on Oct. 27, and the Citadel on Nov. 2 brought them to the beginning of the conclusion of their 2012 season with a 20-7 record.

Despite losses to Wofford on Oct. 26 and the College of Charleston on Nov. 3, the team has been on a roll.

Freshman Jo Wilks once again claimed the title of 2012 Southern Conference Volleyball Freshman of the Week. The selection was announced by the league on Oct. 29 and marks the fourth time Wilks has received the award.

She was acknowledged for the impressive 154 assists, 40 digs, and 14 kills she racked up during the three matches Furman played that week. Wilks recorded double-doubles in two of the matches with 40 assists and 13 digs against Winthrop and 52 assists and 19 digs against Chattanooga. She also made an impressive 62 assists in the match against Wofford.

Two other team members have recently been recognized for their outstanding performances this season. Prior to the match against Citadel on Friday, Nov. 2, Seniors Chandler Ambrester and Natalie Braun were formally recognized for having surpassed the 1,000 kill mark.

Braun, who reached the 1,000 kill mark last year, has a record of 1,116 career kills while Ambrester has 1,110 career kills.

The women are two of the 17 Furman volleyball players to join the 1,000 kills club. They are also the first players to do so since 2008.

Additionally, Braun is only the ninth person ever to record 1,000 kills and 1,000 digs in her Furman career, and is the first person to do so since 2006.

Furman swept the match against Winthrop 3-0 at the Winthrop Coliseum in Rock Hill, SC. The match marked Wilks’ ninth double-double of the season and Ambrester’s third straight double-double. Ambrester recorded a team high of 17 kills and 10 digs while senior Caroline Adams lead the team with an attack percentage of .611 and 12 kills.

Ambrester kept on going as she reached her fifth-straight double-double in the Alley Gymnasium against Chattanooga. She collected career highs of 26 kills and 23 digs for the Paladins 3-1 victory. Wilks also claimed another double-double during the match for her eleventh one of the season.

The Paladins honored their four seniors before the emotional 3-2 match against the College of Charleston.

Seniors Ambrester, Caroline Adams, Braun and Christina Curry amassed an overall record of 85-33 games during their four years on the Furman team. They also hold a 48-14 record for their years playing in the Southern Conference.

The match was dedicated to Ambrester’s father, Mike Ambrester, who passed away the preceding month.

In a fitting tribute, Ambrester added her eighth consecutive double-double of the season with 24 kills and 14 digs.