Professor Profile: Dr. Jeff Beyerl, Mathematics

An interview with Dr. Jeff Beyerl, mathematics professor.

Where are you from?

Fleming Island, FL is where I call my hometown. Although I was raised in Pennsylvania, I consider myself to be a Floridian.

Where did you attend college?

I did my undergraduate at the University of Central Florida in Orlando, and graduate school at Clemson.

I teach Finite Math, which is a 110 level course. It’s the math class for majors who don’t need much math, but it’s one of the neatest math courses to teach. It’s a survey of around half a dozen topics that are fun and practical.What courses do you teach here at Furman?

What’s your favorite thing about Furman so far?

Interaction with students inside and outside of the classroom is impressive. On the first day of classes at Clemson, students were like petrified logs. Here, everyone was already talking and lively on the first day.

What’s a hobby of yours, outside of mathematics?

Dance – contra and swing dance. I’ve been dancing for the past three years, although it was something I always wanted to do. I took classes offered at Clemson and since then have been an avid part of the dance community.

Is there an interesting fact about yourself you’d like to share?

I’ve been a Wikipedian since 2006 – I add content to the site, which is rewarding. I’ve worked on articles related to calculus and integration ideas. I had an assignment in graduate school on a topic that wasn’t on Wikipedia, so I made the page myself.