Furman Volleyball Beats Wake Forest, Loses to Samford

The Furman volleyball team beats Wake Forest but falls to Samford in a Southern Conference matchup.

Furman opened the week with a good start in their match against Wake Forest on Sept. 25.

The Lady Deacons put up a hard fight, but the Paladin women came out on top of each set to take the match 3-0. This win puts the Paladins at 2-0 against ACC opponents this season.

Despite Wake Forest’s intense efforts, they were not able to defeat the Paladins. The Paladins claimed the first set by taking the last five points in the service by freshman Caitly Scioscia. A set-point ace by Scioscia clinched the set victory.

The Paladins shut out the Demon Deacons at the end of the second set, taking eight of the final ten points. The win was aided by consecutive kills from Natalie Braun and a back-to-back kill and service ace by Chandler Ambrester.

The last set belonged to the Paladins as they prevented the Demon Deacons from getting any closer than a four point deficit and finished the set 25-20.

While the Paladin women were unable to top Samford on Sept. 29 they forced the match into five sets with their repeated rallies.

The Southern Conference matchup in Birmingham, AL concluded 3-2 in Samford’s favor with electrifying scores. Furman claimed the first and fourth sets of the match, but just missed a victory in the fifth set. Samford obtained the two point triumph with a kill followed up by a block to end the match.

The volleyball team hits the road to play The Citadel in Charleston, SC on Oct. 6 for what is sure to be a very exciting match. The Citadel is currently 0-4 in the Southern Conference. The match begins at 6 p.m.