Diversity Council Unites Organizations

This year marks the creation of the Diversity Council, an organization that unites the many diverse and different groups on campus under one umbrella.

Most organizations are backed by the SGA or the Religious Council, larger groups that manage budget and activities. As Furman’s diversity grows, so do the number of student groups that promote a broad range of diversity.

The Diversity Council exists to add a socially conscious backbone where SGA might strengthen the financial skeleton.

The Diversity Council was created by the Office of Multicultural Affairs and is presided over by Dr. Idella Glenn. The Council includes 12 groups.

To be considered a Diversity Organization, the student group must “strive to affirm the diversity of the campus community it its many forms”, as stated in the Diversity Council Charter.

The current groups address a broad spectrum of issues in “race, ethnicity, gender, national origin, abilities, sexual orientation and religion”.

Currently, the Diversity Council is not meant to replace the financial support of the SGA or the Religious Council, in which the groups retain their membership. Rather, the Diversity Council offers structural support.

“Our hope is that groups included in the council would collaborate more across groups and with groups outside the council,” said Glenn.

The Diversity Council exists to “encourage and promote awareness of cultural diversity” within Furman and Greenville at large, while giving support, communication, and collaborative opportunities among the organizations in the Council.

With the largest freshman class yet, Furman’s burgeoning diversity will probably continue to flourish. With the assistance provided by the Diversity Council and the commitment they show to promoting multicultural awareness, this diversity will only enrich and broaden the Furman community.