Softball Update

It has been a busy few weeks for the Furman Softball team, with thirteen games since February 20. This includes five games in the Buzz Classic in Woodstock, Georgia at the beginning of spring break. In these thirteen games the Furman Softball team is 5-8, with an overall record of 7-13 since the season started.
Softball+Update

Some highlights of their wins, most of which have been at home, include two wins in a double-header against Oakland University on February 20. In the first game Furman enjoyed 6-1 victory over Oakland in which pitcher Lauren Collier limited the Grizzlies to a single run in four hits. In the second game Furman scored 6 points again, while the Grizzlies were only able to improve their score by one point, giving Furman the win at 6-2. Eight days later the ladies lost in their double-header against USC Upstate, 3-0 and 4-0. These are the only losses thus far for the ladies when playing at home.

While most Furman students packed up their bathing suits and sunscreen to lay out on the beach or cruise decks, the Softball team packed up and went to the Buzz Classic Softball Tournament. The ladies did well, winning three of their five games. They beat Alabama State 1-0, Rhode Island 7-3, and Jacksonville State 6-5. The rest of spring break the team to Georgia and Elon, and lost all four of their match-ups.

Although the ladies current streak is a four games lost, the break was a good bonding experience. The team was able to take some time of the field and visit iconic locations like The Varsity in Atlanta, a well known diner.

The Softball teams close bond is evident, even on campus, whether decked out in team gear or sitting together in the Dining Hall. Of the teams bond, Sophomore Nikki Legg said, “Our team is very family oriented. We do a lot together off the softball field as well and have formed relationships where we know we can always count on our teammates to have our backs.”

Hopefully the team can rack up more wins at home against their next opponents, Charlotte, Appalachian State, and Presbyterian, between March 15 and March 21.