Paladins Surge Then Experience Setback on the Diamond

During the week before Spring Break, Furman started out a hot stretch with a 6-4 victory over Gardner-Webb that kicked off a five-game win streak. In addition to the win over the Bulldogs, during that streak, Furman claimed a weekend series sweep over Toledo and a win over UNC-Asheville.

While most of us were taking a break from life at Furman, the Paladin Baseball team was hard at work.

During the week before Spring Break, Furman started out a hot stretch with a 6-4 victory over Gardner-Webb that kicked off a five-game win streak. In addition to the win over the Bulldogs, during that streak, Furman claimed a weekend series sweep over Toledo and a win over UNC-Asheville. The five Paladin wins were picked up by four different pitchers: Tyler Wood, who defeated G-Webb and UNCA, and Bobby Lyne, Nate Smith, and Ben Carlson, who all picked up a win over Toledo.

Coming off of this five-game win streak, Furman kicked off SoCon play with a three game set against College of Charleston. Despite the confidence that comes with a hot stretch, Furman had a rough weekend and was swept by CofC with scores of 14-6, 4-3, and 13-11.

In the final two games of this series, Furman showed great resolve, making late surges that fell just short, scoring all three runs in the bottom of the 9th in Game 2, and plating six in the bottom of the 8th in Game 3.

Furman stands at 8-8 on the season, with a 0-3 conference mark after the weekend conference series against Charleston. The Paladins next face off against ETSU in Tennessee on Tuesday, March 13, and host USC Upstate on March 14 before travelling to SoCon opponent Samford for a three game weekend series on from March 16-18.

The Paladins get their shot at defeating national champion University of South Carolina at Fluor Field in downtown Greenville at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, March 20. Tickets are available for order from the Greenville Drive website and can also be purchased at from the ticket office before the game. Students can purchase tickets for $6-$10, depending on seat location. Alcoholic beverages will also be available for students over 21. So come on downtown and support Paladin baseball!