Men’s Tennis Loses Legendary Coach, yet Retains Valuable Talent

The Paladin men’s tennis team finished the 2010-2011 season with a 9-18 overall record and a 5-5- Southern Conference mark. Coming off such a season, Furman is poised and determined to improve.

Having only graduated three seniors last May, the team’s veteran roster stands to remain largely intact. The level of experience and camaraderie that the team will be able to maintain sets them at an advantage for this upcoming season.

While leading seniors Sawyer Duncan, Andrei Chvetsov and Luis Soto will be missed, the team boasts many formidable younger players.

For instance, rising sophomore Alex Christ was named to the Southern Conference All-Freshman team last season, and will be one of many strong returning players to the Furman men’s team. Christ managed a league record of 6-4 and an overall singles record of 7-14.

Considering the retention of many valuable players, the retirement of Coach Scarpa will possibly be the team’s largest obstacle of the upcoming year.

Scarpa retires after 45 years at Furman University, and with a total 856 victories he is acclaimed as the winningest coach in Division I history and a beloved member of the Furman community.

The university is currently interviewing for a new head coach with hopes of securing someone who will continue to bolster the program to greatness. Furman Athletic Director Gary Clark notes that the process is progressing well and they hope to have a Head Coach in place by the second week in September.

Coach Scarpa had a unique coaching strategy and placed the majority of his emphasis on developing good players and making them great. Although he recruited, it was not to the extent of most programs as he placed the majority of his emphasis on players’ potential and believed firmly in coaching and continuous improvement.

Even given the change in coaching staff and the loss of valuable seniors, the team is strong and competent, looking ahead to what has the potential to be a great season.