Men’s Golf Bounces Back from 2010, Women’s Team Plows Forward

The men and women’s golf teams have spent the summer working hard preparing for the upcoming 2011-2012 season., which begins the second week of September.

The men’s team, which finished eleventh in the SoCon tournament last year, is aspiring to come closer to a first place finish this year with a strong team in tow. Austin Reeves, a senior who was redshirted, captured the South Carolina Amateur title in August. Senior Matt Broome was named an All-Conference Player this past season while fellow teammate Anthony Aloi won the seventh annual New Jersey Public Links Championship in July. This year’s men’s team features many strong golfers which will aid them as they strive to notch victories throughout their season.

Likewise, the women’s golf team has been diligently preparing for their season and already features three players named to the NGCA All-American Scholar Team: Stefanie Kenoyer, AlexaRancourt, and Aubrie Street. In addition, Kenoyer has earned All-SoCon honors for the fourth consecutive year. Women’s golf placed third in the conference for the 2010-2011 season.

“The team has prepared very well for this upcoming year,” remarks Coach Jen Hanna. “Everyone has a different practice style and (worked on) what they felt they needed to do in the summer to get ready for our season. We expect a lot of competition to compete for the five traveling spots for each tournament. The most dedicated and mentally strong players will prevail and get to see a lot of playing time. We have two incoming freshman that most certainly have the talent to break into the lineup from the start of the season and make a strong impact. We also have a junior college transfer that will bring a year of college golf experience and a hunger for competition and success.”

The men’s team kicks off their season at Spring HIll Suites Intercollegiate in Florence, South Carolina from September 12-13. The women’s team will begin play in Charleston, South Carolina at the Cougar Classic from September 11-13.