After an Exciting Summer, Women’s Soccer Prepares for 2011 Season

Women’s soccer at Furman is officially underway and it looks to be an exciting and challenging season.

For soccer fans it was an exciting (albeit heartbreaking) summer, as the USA women’s national team lost to Japan in the Women’s World Cup final. That game was over a month ago now, and for those going through soccer withdrawal, the good news is that women’s soccer at Furman is officially underway and it looks to be an exciting and challenging season.

The team’s lineup, which includes a fresh crop of new recruits, is led by a strong senior group including Rachel Shelnutt and Martha Hall. They led the team in goals last season with ten apiece, and both were also placed on the 2011 All- Southern Conference pre-season team. Head Coach Andrew Burr said that they are also “expected to provide leadership both on and off the field for our young team.” In addition to Shelnutt and Hall, senior Jessica Smith returns as goalkeeper. According to Burr, “[Smith] is one of the best in the league.” With her in goal and defender Catie Moore healthy, “the Paladin defense should be solid,” he says.

That defense was first tested during the season opener on August 19, in front of a packed house at Stone Stadium when Furman took on the Georgia Bulldogs. Though the Paladins fought hard, the Bulldogs came away with a 3-1 victory. The Furman offense got off to a slow start, but freshmen Alexa Morse and India Robinson put the team on the board before it was all said and done (Robinson with the assist, Morse with the goal.)

The team has a busy schedule with three more home games before their Southern Conference schedule begins at 7:30 p.m. on September 23, when they take on the Davidson Wildcats at Stone Stadium.