Furman Routs Second-Place Terriers in a 64-51 Victory

Junior guard Tate Walter’s 17-point performance led the Dins to an upset over the Wofford Terriers on Thursday night.
Furman celebrates a 64-51 victory over rival Wofford in the annual Play4Kay game on Feb. 16.

The Furman Paladins welcomed their Southern Conference rival Wofford into Timmons Arena on Thursday, Feb. 15 for their annual Play4Kay game, which aims to spread awareness about breast cancer. Furman kept the game close for the first two quarters and led by four at halftime, 21-17. The second half saw an offensive explosion for the Dins, who shot 15 of 28 from the field and outscored the Terriers 43-34 at halftime.

The first half featured six lead changes and two ties. In the half, the Terriers went 5-22 from the field while the Dins led in team points, rebounds and assists.

In the third quarter, Furman began to pull away and went on a 16-2 scoring run as sophomore guard Niveya Henley hit the first of many three-pointers for the Dins. Furman went 4-6 from three compared to Wofford’s 0-7 this quarter.

The Paladins gained a 16-point margin by the end of the third and never trailed in the second half.

The fourth quarter began with Furman’s 13-2 scoring run, which included two three-pointers by Walters. Furman shot a team best of 7-14 from beyond the arch, leading to a 27-point lead in the fourth quarter. Wofford’s junior guard Rachael Rose cut into the lead with seven points in the quarter and a game-high 25 overall. Senior guard Sydney James hit two free throws to end the game as Furman dominated the Terriers 64-51.

Walters led the Dins with a 17-point night coming off the bench. Henley and James contributed 15 and 10 points, respectively. Junior forward Jada Session paced the team with 11 rebounds and five assists.

With this victory, Furman goes to 14-12 (4-6 SoCon) while Wofford drops to 15-9 (7-3 SoCon). The Paladins will be in action next on the road in Macon, Ga. to battle the Mercer Bears, who sit at 11-15 (5-5 SoCon), on Thursday, Feb. 22 at 7 p.m.