Women’s Lacrosse Season Includes Record-Breaking Victory

The Dins began their season 1-2 as junior attack Anna Roser broke the school record for most goals in a game against Kennesaw State on Sunday, Feb. 18.
The+Paladins+celebrate+a+goal+in+a+15-11+win+over+Kennesaw+State+on+Feb.+18.+Junior+attack+Anna+Roser+broke+a+school+record+with+nine+goals+in+the+contest.+
The Paladins celebrate a goal in a 15-11 win over Kennesaw State on Feb. 18. Junior attack Anna Roser broke a school record with nine goals in the contest.

The Furman women’s lacrosse team has started their season under first-year interim head coach Lauren Farber, a former Paladin lacrosse standout from 2019 to 2022. Three games into the season, the Dins stand at 1-2.

Furman opened the year with an 11-5 home loss versus #21 Clemson. Despite the defeat, Preseason All Big South selection junior attack Anna Roser scored two goals. Senior defender Katelyn Sousa, the Preseason Big South Defensive Player of the Year, paced the Dins with four ground ball pickups.

In their next game, The Paladins prevailed over Kennesaw State 19-15. Roser broke a school-record for most goals in a game with nine. The record was previously set in 2017 by Ashley Trice with eight goals.

Junior attacker Paige Harman contributed to the win with two goals and three assists. Meanwhile, junior midfielder Sophia Buzelis achieved a new personal best in draws, securing eight wins. In the crease, junior Lily Rathbun and freshman Sailor Henderson joined forces to make a total of six saves.

On the season’s first road trip, Furman dropped a game to Elon 13-9. Shaw scored three goals and tallied three assists in the game. Fifth year midfielder Hannah Dintino scored twice, as did Harman and Roser. Sousa picked up a team-leading five ground balls. The Dins forced 11 turnovers and won 10 draws.

Roser, Big South Co-offensive Player of the Week, currently leads the team with 16 goals. Shaw paces the team with eight assists and has six goals throughout the season. Sousa leads the team in ground ball pick-ups with 10.

Between the goalies, Rathbun has 13 saves in three games, whilst Henderson has six in two games.

Furman returns to Paladin Stadium to host the East Carolina Pirates at 11 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 24. The Dins will end their two-game homestand as they next play #3 James Madison on Saturday, March 2 at 11 a.m.

Following their road trip to Harrisonburg, V.A., Furman will travel to Eugene, Ore. to face the Oregon Ducks on Sunday, March 10 at 2 p.m. The final lap in Furman’s away slate is in Gainesville, Fla. to take on the Florida Gators on March 12.

The Dins will begin Big South play on March 27 against archrival Wofford. The conference season will last throughout April and culminate at the Big South Tournament, hosted by the conference’s first seed, from May 3 to 5.