Dins Lacrosse Set to Begin Big South Play

Furman’s women’s lacrosse team has finished their non-conference campaign and will begin Big South play at home against Wofford on March 27.

The Furman Women’s Lacrosse program completed their non-conference schedule this past Tuesday in Gainesville, Fla. as they fell 23-7 against the 11th-ranked Florida Gators. This was only the third-ranked matchup of the season for the Dins after duels against #21 Clemson and #2 James Madison.

To end February’s slate, Furman suffered a road loss to Elon 13-9 on Feb. 21, and then an 18-12 home defeat against East Carolina on Feb. 24. Despite the losses, senior attack Sophie Shaw was named Big South Offensive Player of the Week. Shaw had eight goals and four assists in two games, including a hat-trick against Elon on Feb. 21.

To begin March, Furman first fell 21-9 against second-ranked James Madison and then lost 17-8 against the Oregon Ducks in Eugene, Ore. The Dins next hosted ACC opponent Virginia Tech in Paladin Stadium, dropping the game 20-9.

On March 16, Furman traveled to North Carolina, where they faced off against Queens University of Charlotte for the first time in program history. Furman defeated the Royals behind a combined seven-goal performance by Shaw and junior attack Anna Roser. The Paladins outscored the Royals 3-1 in the final five minutes to win the game after the Royals had tied it at 10-10. This win snapped Furman’s five-game losing streak.

Furman’s competitive out-of-conference schedule has prepared the team to take on their Big South foes to wrap up the season. Additionally, this tough schedule will only benefit them for the Big South tournament in May.

The Dins will open Big South play at home next Wednesday, March 27 against archrival Wofford at 6 p.m. They will then go on the road for away games against Gardner-Webb and Presbyterian College. The Dins will return to Paladin Stadium on April 10 to face off against Mercer.

Approaching the end of the season, the Dins will travel to Rock Hill, S.C. to take on Winthrop on April 13, followed by a trip to Farmville, Va. to battle Longwood. The Dins will close out their 2024 Big South campaign playing High Point and Radford at home the following week.