Paladin Pointers

Paladin+Pointers

By Mackenzie Curtis, Contributor

How do you feel about beginning a new chapter of your life at Furman? I remember freshman year that all I wanted was for college to be the best four years of my life. That year, I learned that in order to have both a fun and successful experience at Furman, it was important to balance my time.

While the main purpose of college is to grow academically, you will feel more “at home” if you strive to meet other students and develop friendships. It is common for some students—especially freshmen—to feel homesick, but I can assure you that you will not feel this way if you get to know all of the wonderful people who are part of the Furman community. Stepping out of your comfort zone to introduce yourself to someone is totally worth it! Remember that other freshmen do not know many people yet, and the upperclassmen were once in your shoes. I found that most of the people at Furman are extremely friendly. Your future best friend could be standing in front of you in the omelet line at the dining hall, so make an effort to talk to them.

The easiest way to start meeting people is to hang out with the people on your hall and venture around the dorm with your hallmates to meet others. Spontaneous visits are one of my favorite parts of college. Try to get involved with a few clubs, because they are a great way to meet people with similar interests. Some of my other favorite social activities include tailgating, and attending fraternity parties when my schedule permits. The bottom line is that if you go out and socialize, you will meet a variety of different people that may become your close friends.

As your parents would probably say, you are in school to study, so be sure to make that a priority. The best suggestion I can give you is to not waste time in between classes. If you have a break in your day, you should consider going to the library and completing some work. I can assure you that you will be much happier and feel more productive if you treat your schoolwork like a 9 to 5 job. That way, your evenings will be free to spend time with your friends. It is better to stay on top of your work instead of procrastinating because you will feel much less stressed. It may be a good idea to find a study spot if you and your roommate distract each other or if your hall is too loud to focus. A fun study spot I found is called The Forest, a coffee shop two minutes from campus in Traverlers Rest. I find it a little easier to concentrate when I am removed from the “Furman Bubble.”

Keep in mind that the “Furman Bubble” is small, so teachers will notice if you skip class. While your friends at larger universities may seem to miss more classes than they actually attend, do not skip class. If you are sick, send your professor an email. At Furman, we are so fortunate to have small class sizes and outstanding professors. Take advantage of that. Our professors want you to succeed, so if you need help, ask.

Finally, it is essential to try your best to stay healthy in college. With all of Furman’s other distractions, this can easily be forgotten. Everyone needs sleep, so make sure to get enough even though it is sometimes difficult. I would definitely recommend having a discussion with your roommate about each other’s sleep schedules, so you can be respectful of each other. There may be occasions where you have to miss out on late night outings because you need sleep. While this is unfortunate, it may be necessary.

Be sure to take time to exercise as well. The PAC is a great facility, and I also enjoy running around the lake and the Swamp Rabbit trail behind campus.

Last but not least, try to eat healthily in the DH. Yes, the cookies are hard to resist, but do not forget to eat some salad every once in awhile, too. All in all, if you try to get enough sleep, exercise, and eat healthy food, you will feel great!

Making the most of your college years is just like anything else in life. You just have to try your best. No one is perfect, and you should remember that college is about learning and growing as a person. I encourage you to take advantage of all of the exciting opportunities in store for you here at Furman and to make some memories that will last a lifetime. Roll Dins!